Friday, February 26, 2010

Every child has the right to play and enjoy one's innocence: Palarong Bantay Bata

Every child has the right to play and enjoy his/her innocence, this is the fact that bored through the veil of my consciousness when I witnessed the Palarong Bantay Bata last Feb 20 2010.

The event was facilitated by Bantay Bata 163 and iLearners Inc. It was a meaningful event to the facilitators and to the children who played the games. I really felt the energy and enjoyment through the cheers, applause, dances in the stadium; Definitely the event was a great success.

But i cant help myself from wondering because all of the children there are from the Bantay Bata Center, which provides temporary shelter to rescued at-risk children before their cases are resolved legally. In the center children are provided with therapy and educational opportunities before they are reunited with their families or referred to proper child caring agencies.

It really bothered me because there were many of them there. I know they have their own experiences and I'm sure those are traumatic. But I was still half-happy because I was able to share my spare time to laugh, play, and give encouragement to the children who could be victims of physical, mental ,or sexual abuse.

Still, it's sad and alarming because there were many of them there...I can imagine what they are going through, it's more painful than a deep cut on the wrist. And it's more sad because I can relate with them, It's just that the cut on my wrist already healed.


Thanks to iLeaners Inc for inviting me to the Palarong Bantay Bata.





If you want to report child exploitation or abuse; here are Bantay Bata Cebu contacts

Telephone Number:

+63 32 564 2707

email ads

bb163_cebu@abs-cbn.com
lutis_cimafranca@abs-cbn.com

All photos in this article are courtesy of Doyzkie Buenaviaje and iLearners

No comments:

Post a Comment